About Us - School Wide Positive Behaviours (SWBP)
SWPBS is core to our school’s culture. In Late 2017 Alvie Consolidated School begun the process of becoming an accredited SWPBS school. By then end of 2019, the expectation is that Alvie Consolidated School will have established the main elements of ‘Tier 1’ implementation of the program.
SWPBS consists of is a broad range of systemic and individualised strategies for achieving important social & learning outcomes and preventing problem behaviour with all students. It is a school-wide process for developing and explicitly teaching appropriate and positive behaviours. When we implement SWPBS, we redesign our environments, not the redesign of individuals.
The goal of School-Wide Positive Behaviour Support at Alvie Consolidated School is to create and maintain a positive and safe learning environment that enhances our school culture where we maximise individual academic and social growth.
The SWPBS approach is comprised of evidence based behavioural interventions and practices that staff continually practice to effectively address and support the socially and educationally important behavioural needs of students and their families.
SWPBS has its conceptual foundations in:
- Behavioural Theory – Behaviour is, lawful, learned and malleable.
- Applied Behaviour Analysis – Behavioural theory, principles, and practices apply to socially important observable behaviours in the applied settings that they observe.
- Positive Behaviour Support – Behavioural supports considered in the larger contact of improving quality of life.
Through the implementation of SWPBS, school wide systems align to create an inclusive environment, where there is a:
- Common purpose and approach to discipline
- Clear set of positive expectations and behaviours
- Procedures for teaching expected behaviour
- Continuum of procedures for encouraging expected behaviour
- Continuum of procedures for discouraging inappropriate behaviour